GRE Subject Test 2024: Syllabus, Eligibility, Dates & More
If you’re a student who believes that the world is your oyster and is aspiring to pursue a master's degree or a MBA abroad, you would require to write the GRE examination. A good GRE score will open the gates for you to some of the best universities across the world. However, there is an interesting alternative for students who wish to do otherwise. A unique subject centric GRE Subject Test is an option very few applicants/students opt for. Hence, if you’re someone who would want to stand out among the crowd then the GRE Subject Exam is a great option for you.
So, stay with us till the end as we cover all the details regarding the GRE subject test 2024, including GRE subject test syllabus, date, cost, GRE subject test pattern, etc!
What is the GRE Subject Test?
GRE subject test is a specialisation test conducted in specific subjects of Chemistry, Mathematics, Psychology and Physics. It is a paper-delivered test conducted thrice a year in the months of September, April and October worldwide. Students with a drive to achieve a competitive edge in the global sphere of academics must cater to the GRE subject exam.
Who Can Take the GRE Subject Test?
As the GRE subject test highlights the students’ expertise in the field, students willing to have a competitive edge over other applicants can very well take the exam. It is a smart move to write this test to ease the admission process.
For instance, if you are interested in a Chemistry post-graduation degree abroad, you can skip the GRE General Test and opt for GRE Chemistry as your entrance assessment, provided that the university you wish to enrol in accepts the GRE subject test.
By opting to write a subject-centric paper, students can aim for a higher score and get an admission easily in the course. Students who wish to register can do so by enrolling themselves online by paying a GRE Subject Test costing USD 150.
How is the GRE Subject Test different from the GRE General Test?
In comparison to the GRE General Test, students who write the GRE Subject Test stand out from the crowd. Unlike the mass of students attempting the GRE globally, applicants who opt for the GRE subject test can concentrate and excel in one subject rather than shuffling their focus on various subjects.
As we are now clear with the importance of the GRE subject tests, let’s look at each of the subjects in detail. You can find all the information regarding the GRE subject test pattern, syllabus, preparation and more in the sections below.
Are you preparing for the GRE exam, and want an in-depth analysis? Check out Yocket GRE Prep to get hold of a 30-minutes FREE diagnostic test, along with a section-wise analysis!
GRE Subject Test Pattern and Syllabus
Let us now move on to know the GRE subject test syllabus for each subject:
GRE Subject Test Chemistry
Students passionate about Chemistry, interested in pursuing a Masters or a PhD in Chemistry, or students who might aspire to be Chemistry teachers, Geochemists, Water Chemists and so on can write the GRE Chemistry paper.
About the GRE Chemistry paper:
- The Chemistry subject test paper comprises 130 multiple choice questions that students are expected to complete in a span of 2hrs 50 mins
- A periodic table is printed in the booklet with all the necessary details
- To avoid the use of calculators and logarithms, necessary mathematical values are presented wherever necessary
- The Chemistry GRE questionnaire focus on four main fields - Analytical Chemistry (15%), Inorganic Chemistry (25%), Organic Chemistry (30%) and Physical Chemistry (30%)
GRE Chemistry Syllabus
The below table lists out the syllabus of the GRE Chemistry test. Prepare according to the table to ace your Chemistry paper:
Data Acquisition, Use of Statistics, Solutions, Standardization, Homogeneous Equilibria, Heterogeneous Equilibria, Instrumental Methods, Environmental Applications, Radiochemical Methods
General Chemistry, Ionic Substances, Covalent Molecular Substances, Metals, Semiconductors, Concepts of Acids and Bases, Chemistry of Main Group Elements, Chemistry of the Transition Elements and Special Topics
Thermodynamics, Quantum Chemistry, Applications of Spectroscopy and Dynamics
Structure, Bonding, Nomenclature, Functional Groups, Reaction Mechanisms, Reactive Intermediates, Organometallics and Special Topics
How to prepare for the GRE Chemistry Subject Test?
- The applicants must be clear with all the basic Chemistry concepts
- Attempt the practice Chemistry test presented on the ETS official website
- Familiarise yourself with the directions of the test, once you have the hang of the directions it is easier to comply with the test
- Refer to the previous GRE Chemistry papers
GRE Subject Test Mathematics
Students with a penchant for math can register for the GRE Mathematics Subject Test to seek admission in various international mathematics courses abroad. A masters or a PhD applicant in the field of math, or students aspiring to work as bankers, business analysts, mathematicians and so on can ace the GRE math exam and skip the drill of the GRE general test.
About GRE Mathematics Paper:
- The GRE Mathematics question paper has about 66 problems
- Students have 2hrs 50 mins to answer the paper
- The GRE math paper is based on - 50% calculus, 25% algebra and the remaining 25% hold problems from other fields of math
GRE Maths Syllabus
The below table lists out the syllabus of the GRE Mathematics test. Prepare according to the table to for your test:
Differential Calculus, Integral Calculus, Calculus Application and Connection with Coordinate Geometry, Trigonometry, Differential Equations and other
Elementary Algebra, Linear Algebra, Abstract Algebra and Number Theory
Differentiability and Integrability, Elementary Topology of R, Rn, Discrete Math, Geometry, Graph, Statics and more
How to prepare for the GRE Math Subject Test?
- Candidates are requested to know your paper thoroughly in order to plan your answers and manage time
- Mark all your answers in the answer sheet without holding onto them until the last minute
- Adhere to the GRE maths syllabus and paper pattern
- Practice with a GRE subject test maths before you face the exam
GRE Subject Test Psychology
Psychology aspirants can enrol in GRE Psychology to display their expertise in the field. Students who wish to be Psychologists, Psychology professors etc can skip the mathematical wrath of the GRE general test and can simply write the GRE Psychology subject test to be admitted into any international university.
About GRE Psychology:
- The Psychology test has about 205 multiple choice questions. Students are expected to solve the paper within 2hrs 50mins
- Students can expect the structure of GRE Exam: Psychology to be based on six parameters- Biological Psychology (17-21%), Cognitive Psychology (17-21%), Social (12-14%), Developmental (12–14%), Clinical (15–19%) and Measurement/Methodology (15–19%)
- If any question requires graphs or experimental details, it will be provided in the booklet
- The subject test adheres to the terminology, criteria and classifications referred in the fifth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistics Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5)
GRE Psychology Syllabus
The below table lists out the syllabus of the GRE Psychology subject test:
Sensation, Perception and Physiological/Behavioural Neuroscience
Learning, Language Memory and Thinking
Personality, Clinical and Abnormal
General, Measurements and Methodologies
How to prepare for the GRE Psychology Subject Test?
- Refer to as many previous papers as possible
- Work on your quick reading skills to be able to manage time
- Take a practice GRE psychology test before you appear for the main exam
GRE Physics Subject Test
Physics aspirants are recommended to take this test. Students who wish to become Physicists, Engineers, Masters in Physics etc are required to attend this exam. The test involves answering and solving physics questions based on logical and required mathematical knowledge.
About GRE Physics:
- Students have 2hrs 50mins to solve about 100 multiple choice questions
- The necessary information required such as constants, SI’s and more are usually mentioned in the booklet
- The GRE Physics Exam has diversified questions from the field. However, the paper is dominated by Classical Mechanics (20%), Electromagnetism (18%), Quantum Mechanics (12%) and Atomic Physics (10%)
GRE Physics Syllabus
The GRE Physics paper is diversified and has questions focusing on the undergrad knowledge of Physics. It is recommended that students focus on
- Classical Mechanics (20%)
- Electromagnetism (18%)
- Optics and Wave Phenomena (9%)
- Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics (10%)
- Quantum Mechanics (12%)
- Atomic Physics (10%)
- Special Relativity (6%)
- Laboratory Methods (6%)
- Specialized Topics (9%)
The key to ace the paper is to focus on overall concepts and time management. Doing so, can help the students achieve a high GRE score.
How to prepare for the GRE Physics Subject Test?
- Know your paper, candidates can save time once they are aware of the information in hand
- Take a physics practice test
- Observe the pattern of previous questionnaires
Information Update: GRE Biology and GRE English Literature have been discontinued from April 2021.
Once you’re prepared for the subject tests based on the blueprint and practice tests available on the ETS official website, you can ensure a good score. On the completion of the test, students also receive an unofficial scoring online.
Suggested: Know about the GRE Exam Dates 2024!
GRE Subject Test Eligibility Criteria
There is no specific eligibility criteria for the GRE subject test. Students just need to have a valid ID proof along with recent photographs.
Suggested: Best Books for GRE Preparation 2024!
How to register for the GRE Subject Test?
Registering yourself for the GRE subject test is an easy task. Although, applicants need to plan when exactly would he/she want to write the test keeping in mind the preparation and the timeliness of the examination. One of the perks of the GRE examination is that the students are free to pick the date and centre of their choice to attend the exam.
Please keep your passport and debit/credit card handy before you begin the process.
- Head to the official website and create an ETS account
- Login to your respective ETS account
- Select the GRE Subject Test you are interested to write
- Select GRE Subject Test location or GRE Subject Test date to access the option of available dates and centers around you
- Review your application
- Complete the registration process by making an online payment of the GRE subject test fee of about $150 using a debit or credit card
- Once the payment is processed, you will receive a confirmation email about your GRE Subject Test registration on the registered email address
Registration through Mail
To register yourself through mail, follow the steps and complete your GRE registration process:
- Download the GRE Subject test PDF form from the ETS website
- Fill the application
- Mail it to the address mentioned in the form along with the GRE subject test fees
- Submit your GRE subject test form before the registration deadline. Allow four weeks for processing of the application
- Once the application is registered, an email confirmation from ETS affirming your test choice, test date and center will be sent to your registered email address
Incase of rescheduling/cancellation
- Students can reschedule the GRE Subject Test four days before the test date or your test fee will be forfeited
- The rescheduling fee is USD 50
- Rescheduling is allowed for the same testing year
- Applicants can reschedule through mail or online
- Cancellation of GRE subject test is allowed four days prior to the examination
- If the student cancels, he/she receives half of the amount as a refund
Suggested: How to Prepare for GRE in 6 Months?
Also, check out this video to know how you can study abroad without GRE:
GRE Subject Test Dates and Centres
Let us now move onto knowing about the GRE subject test date. Students can pick the desired date and time to attend the exam.
Since, the GRE subject Test is a paper-delivered examination, students can pick the GRE subject test centres within their proximity to attend the test. About 1000 major cities in India host the test thrice a year. Some of the locations that conduct the tests in India are Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Mumbai, Coimbatore and Kolkata.
Once you have decided on the GRE date and centre of, you can complete the GRE registration for the subject test via mail or online.
Suggested: How to Improve Your GRE Verbal Score?
GRE Subject Test Scores and Results
Students receive their GRE subject test scores after 15 days of attending the examination. Notifications are sent to the registered email address. Scores of the GRE subject tests yield from 200-900. Candidates can apply to colleges based on the official GRE subject score that is marked. Based on these scores, students can access international colleges open to them for their higher education.
Since you now have clarity on the syllabus for the GRE subject test, topics, scores and more of the GRE subject tests, let us now look at how you can register for the GRE test. The section below will give you clarity on the registration process of the GRE subject test.
Suggested: All about the GRE Exam Preparation!
Yocket GRE Prep+ for GRE Preparation
Whatever test you decide to take - the GRE General test, or the GRE Subject Test, we will be there for you.
With Yocket’s GRE Prep platform you can get hold of a whole lot of things - FREE mock & diagnostic tests, FREE resources, more than 40 personalised difficulty-level subject practice tests with instant performance report and detailed solutions, and much much more!
And well, not just that, Yocket Prep will offer you:
- Instant solutions and performance analysis based on your diagnostic tests
- Focussed and prioritised GRE learning and practice schedule, to keep you ahead of time
- Custom priority-based study planner, which focuses on the most important & marks-fetching topics practice by volume
- 7 GRE style tests (which are very difficult to get tbh), 40+ topic-wise tests, access to Priority Dashboard and much more than you can imagine through Yocket Prep+
To be your best, you need to test and try products which are meant for best results. Being aware of the GRE syllabus, and GRE portions will only help you, if your mind aligns high scoring potential with content precision. And that, we believe, can be done through Yocket Prep.
Getting to know about the GRE subject test is the first step, starting your GRE subject test preparations in full swing, the second. There is no better feeling than feeling well-prepared before your exam. And trust us, rigorous practice and drills can do you wonders!
If you’ve also set your sights on the best B-school or a tech university, reach out to us, reach out to Yocket Study Abroad Experts; and we shall make it the best decision you’ve ever taken!
GRE subject tests are a smart way to get an admission abroad. With this test your competition is streamlined to pupils in the field. This will make it easier for you to score higher and will also showcase your knowledge and efficiency. Just be sure to prepare for the GRE well!